Monday, April 26, 2010


Trisha Brown’s work has been such an inspiration to me, as a dancer and choreographer. Her ability to open one’s eyes to what dance can be considered is a part of her legacy into the dance world. Her work has gone from simplistic installations to virtuostic dancing performed in an opera house. Her choreography is unlike anything I’ve ever seen; prominent in flow and gesture, rhythmic in time and full of quirky moments. She opened up a new technique to the modern dance world. The most inspiring creative aspect of her choreography to me is her aptitude to create an environment for her audience. It isn’t solely about the dance for her; it is about the feeling and the atmosphere she gives to the people. I don’t think I can pin point any other choreographer that brings forth her innate sense for creating dance. I think more people should understand and appreciate her choreography for being innovative and ground-breaking work.

Go To http://www.trishabrowncompany.org/index.php?page=view&nr=615 to see one of her most famous works, "Glacial Decoy". The blonde women dancing in the duet graduated and taught at my studio in Stevens Point, Wisconsin!

No comments:

Post a Comment